SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Fuel Pressure

Anyone know what kind of fuel pressure the in tank pump puts out? doling an lnf swap and need to know what kinda pump to use in the tank. also what is it regulated at?

What I really need to know is what is the pressure just before the high pressure fuel pump.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM

longhornss,

I may be missing the point of your question, but if you are having a fuel pump problem with the LP pump, why not get an replacement from the dealer OR an auto parts house with their cross reference listings. If I had the problem on my SS, that is exactly where I would head first to the auto part store to see if they had them available and at what cost, then to the dealer to get the same info. After I had that info, I would make my decision. If the cost comparison was close I would go with the OEM unit. It would have to be a large cost difference for me to do otherwise. SCD1
Old 01-11-2012, 07:13 AM

I think you are missing his point as he made no mention of having a problem but, rather, doing a swap. According to page three of this document from GM Perfomance Division, it puts out 'about 2200 psi'. I dont' have an SS but I know they have direct injection. I just had no idea the the fuel pressure was that high..
http://www.gmperformancedivision.com..._Injection.pdf
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 AM

thanks guys but I am still looking for the IN TANK fuel pump pressure. The pump in the tank feeds fuel to the front of the car when the High Pressure Fuel Pump then puts out the 2200 PSI. Again I am doing a LNF swap and would like to know what fuel pump/regulator setup to use to feed to the HPFP. Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM

taken from Alldata - the in tank fuel pressure spec is 57-67 psi.
the fuel pump cost from dealer is $533
Old 01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Founding Member

GM says 50-60 and I would just make sure the regulator is the same for both engines. It may not be.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

And just think of all the other parts you'll need to make this swap work!!!
The list will be very long.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
And just think of all the other parts you'll need to make this swap work!!!
The list will be very long.
But worth it if he gets a deal on the LNF and other necesarry parts!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM

If you gave a little more detail and said for instance you were swapping a 2.2 for a 2.0 LNF that might give a better picture and generate a better answer to your question. Assuming this is the case, the 2.2 uses a constant pressure (on the fuel rail) recirculating setup with a seperate feed line and a return line going back to the tank, the LNF uses a single feed line from a low pressure pump in the tank to the high pressure pump on the engine. In other words it is a completely different setup, more than just replacing the pump in the tank.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks Guys I appreciate all the back and fort and the answeres. that 50-60 was what I was looking for. seems the presure is regulated in the "Can" on the LNF engines. so I bought a can from ebay and will modify it to work in my tank.

I said swap...... I guess I should have said RWD into a streetrod.

I have the LNF already, plus more wiring and connectors than I will ever need.
I will be builing my own harness and bolting the engine to a 4L60E trans with a custom LNF adapter (Oil cooler needs to be retained, but relocated) I am designing and having CNC machined. The trans will run off of a TCI TCU unit which will give me 2 performance levels and Vince at Trifecta will be doing the tuning and vats removal for me.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure