Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Remote Control Not Working....

Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 PM

Remote Control Not Working....

So, yesterday I went to unlock my doors with the remote, and for some reason, the remote is very touchy all of a sudden. The remote works sometimes, and other times it doesn't. It doesn't matter how close I am; I was standing right outside my driver's door and it still wouldn't work. But then sometimes it works without any trouble, and you wouldn't even know there's something wrong with the remote. So if it works sometimes, then it can't be that the battery (in the remote) is dead, right? Does anyone know what the problem is? Do you think I need a new remote?? Thanks in advance.

--------------

PS: If I try to unlock the driver's door with my key, the alarm starts going off. I can still get in and start my car (then the alarm goes away), but it's embarrassing when you're out in public. Is that defective? Is it normal for that to happen??
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Sounds like the typical bad solder connection inside the remote. Here is a thd on how to repair. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/keyfob-cold-solder-repair-22641/ Now I also believe it is covered under the 3-36yr warranty and if that applies to you, take both your remotes to the dealer.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Sounds like the typical bad solder connection inside the remote. Here is a thd on how to repair. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22641 Now I also believe it is covered under the 3-36yr warranty and if that applies to you, take both your remotes to the dealer.
I have 117,000 miles on my HHR, so I'm not under any warranty at all. But that looks like that could possibly be my problem. Thanks!!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Technical Moderator

And, yes if you lock with the remote then open with key anti-theft goes into effect. It's in the manual
Old 09-04-2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
And, yes if you lock with the remote then open with key anti-theft goes into effect. It's in the manual
Oh, I didn't know that. It caught me off guard the first time, I didn't even know what I did wrong. Then, the second time I realized it was because I was using the key. I didn't look in the manual though either.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 AM

If it's not the solder joint problem it could be the switch contact pads are wearing out.... there is a repair guide for this here on the forum...... I'll find the link after I wake up....

Where's my coffee?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Mine was fine until I replaced the battery..now it's touchy. Go figure... I must have broken something loose putting the new battery in.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Maybe, Eric, sounds like there was a problem with those solder joints.... they shouldn't break at all if properly manufactured.

Here's the link to the switch contact repair thread...... Switch repair

One or the other should fix your remote, goetylsd......

Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Founding Member

Whew, I thought your TV remote wasn't working by the thread title.

That would have been a real tragedy.

Use one or both of the 2 fixes in the How To forum, or a new remote is needed.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Whew, I thought your TV remote wasn't working by the thread title.

That would have been a real tragedy.

Use one or both of the 2 fixes in the How To forum, or a new remote is needed.
Yeah, I guess that was kind of a weird way of writing it now that I think about it. Oh well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Control Not Working....