"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)

For those without warranty coverage, like me!

For anyone who this happens to there is now a quick fix you can do to get your roof closed and if your warranty has expired (like mine) you can do this and avoid a vary costly repair, $1,700 at my local crooks..ummm I mine Chevy dealer

At first you'll be looking at something like this,

a vary small clip breaks and the windscreen frame pops up on one side making it impossible to close. If you carefully hold it back down how it goes you can hold it there and close your roof but you need to hold it while the roof closes and move your fingers just before they get smooshed.

Now you can take it to the dealer or fix it yourself at your convenience.

To remove the windscreen and have a fully functional sunroof again, carefully open the sunroof keeping your hands over where the windscreen pops up, this is to hold the windscreen down so it does not pop up and cause any more damage to anything. Once open slowly let the windscreen up, the spring will probably pop a bit but that’s okay. Now all you need a phillips screw driver and about 5 minutes.

Loosen these screws on both sides ( the broken side first). When you unscrew the non broken side the little spring is going to flip up so don’t be scared it didn’t break.

Now that the screws are out push down on the bottom bar where the windscreen material wraps around and slide it towards the opening of the sunroof and let it rest there.

Now to unclip the windscreen frame from the unbroken side stand the windscreen up and backwards a little like this

Use a little pressure while moving it and it will vary easily slide out of the clip and your done!

Then you’re left with the windscreen (that usually isn’t broke) so hold on to it or sell it do whatever you want with it.

Before you go haulin a$$ down the highway feelin’ good that you’ve fixed this issue , you need to get one of these

and install it or the wind will come in and blow out your ear drums and could possibly damage the headliner if it goes inside of it.

Now sit back and smile because you just saved yourself a bunch of hard earned cash.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 10-07-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: fixed title
Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 PM

that is real good advice i will let my customers know if thay have that problem i work for advance auto parts .
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Great how-to. Thanks for sharing. Good to know how to handle a problem before it happens.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 PM
jx3

Thanks for the pictorial!

Hopefully Dory won't have that problem again.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:15 AM

Thanks, it was fun to do, turned a bad situation into a positive thing.
Here are a few pics of what it looks like with the screen removed, yes I know its dirty in there.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 AM
jx3

Looking "slick" on the top with the roof open in it's current state.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 AM

Thank you for that info and pictures.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 AM

Nice job. Is a new windscreen not available from the dealer as a seperate item. If not, I suspect that some aftermarket manufacturer will jump on the opportunity.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Offy
Nice job. Is a new windscreen not available from the dealer as a seperate item. If not, I suspect that some aftermarket manufacturer will jump on the opportunity.
The windscreen is not the issue. The arm that raises/lowers the screen breaks and is part of the sunroof frame itself.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 AM

Great job on the instuctions and pics how fast can you do that at the side of the road in a heavy rain storm.GM better come up with a new set up and recall all the others this is going to be a bigger problem in the next 5 years.

Quick Reply: Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)